Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Downtime fail

I am crap at many, many things. Baking, driving ( I can count the number of reverse parks I have done since I got my driver's license on one hand- sad but true. Thank god I live in suburbia) not raising my voice (especially when it comes to my kids. I am a shouter. Big time) I realized today that there is something else I am completely crap at. Doing nothing. I just find it so hard to sit back and do nothing.

I had today off from parental duties. D was at daycare, the big kids were having the time of their lives at their grandma's place- the day was mine. I could have gone to the movies, had a pedicure (I even have a voucher I need to use before it expires), slept, watched DVDs... So many things could has helped me unwind.

I am not built way though. I pulled out my 'to do' list (everyone has these right?) and started writing a list specific for today. Some cleaning, some decluttering of my winter wardrobe, a bunch of errands. I was on fire, crossing many big things from my list. For example tax documents? Sorted! Who does this man? This isn't normal right?

I blame my mother, I am seriously morphing into her the older I get. She is like the original Energiser buny & obviously I take after her to some degree. I have a complete inability to relax while there are jobs to be done. I guess there are worse things to be crap at but one day I am going to see that movie & not worry about cleaning out my car. Just once this is going to happen. Probably once my kids have left home and the car is not as feral as it was today. Sigh.

11 comments:

  1. Oh you're so not alone. I figure that to do things like that is as valuable a use of day as anything else. I'm currently staying at my sister's place. The other night I cooked, she told me to put my feet up while they cleaned the kitchen. I couldn't do it. JUST COULDN'T DO IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I feel you, I wouldn't be able to sit by doing nothing either. You know what would drive me mental? The dishes just sitting there to be done later. I cannot handle seeing the mess waiting for me & need it gone ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am much the same. I can (sadly) get off on a clean house. Mopped floors, and vaccuumed carpets. I have a nesting list. I am sooo looking forward to cracking it, big time.

    My biggest me time time? Is when the smalls are in bed. Yep, I'm turning into mum too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fave time of the week is Sat night when the entire house is cleaned to within an inch of it's life and I look around at shiny floors and clutter free surfaces. Lame but true.

      Delete
  4. I'm a little too good at doing nothing. I think it's called laziness. Though the house has to be tidy before I can be lazy. Tax documents, umm no, happy to forget about them. Cupboards? Still filled with maternity gear despite D being 7 months old.

    I would like to have a little of your motivation. Things might run a little smoother round here. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE to come over ad help you declutter Corrine! I love love love decluttering so hard. It is a bit of a Sickness!

      Delete
  5. I think there is something in the fact when you become a mother, you start to morph very slowly into your own mother! Im just happy my mother is not a total nutbag. I would be happy for someone to say im like mum!
    I find it depends on the day, on what i will do with my spare time. But for the most part, im still stuck with the in-laws, so there is not much of anything. I dunno, i find im much more comfortable cleaning and cooking in my own house. Well I clean here, but not as intensely as i would my own, like a full wardrobe clean out etc. I miss that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do need your own space to go hard on the cleanout aspect. Hope that time isn't too far away for you babes!

      Delete
  6. I'm terrible. The only way I can have real downtime is to leave the house. As soon as I'm home, there are always things to be done. I remember days of being board as a teenager, I can never imagine having that much free time again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree no downtime at home. I think until the kids leave home boredom is just not going to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have tagged you for a Kreativ Blogger Award. xo Normally i hate these things, but i found this one fun!

    ReplyDelete